Compact Control Powerhouse
Arturia’s Beatstep offers a new degree of functionality and performance for a portable pad controller. BeatStep is highly versatile, capable of triggering clips in such applications as Ableton Live, playing drums in conjunction with such applications as BFD or EZDrummer. But BeatStep is also a 16-step analog sequencer for creating all kinds of musical phrases to be sent to analog synthesizers, MIDI drum machines, MIDI keyboard devices, or computer programs. Its vast connectivity allows you to connect the BeatStep to a computer or iPAD using USB, a drum module using MIDI or an analog synthesizer equipped with CV/GATE. BeatStep is truly flexible and opens up new avenues of hands-on creative control for the contemporary musician
In SEQ mode, your pads become enables for each step in your sequence. The 16 encoders will adjust pitch for the associated step. 16 memories allow for instant recall of your favorite patterns while the pad scale modes, seq playback modes and time division functions allow for real-time performance changes. Add to all this, MIDI, USB and CV/GATE connectivity and you have a sequencer that can be used with all types of gear, including analog synths , software instruments, and MIDI hardware.
With 16 velocity and pressure sensitive pads, the BeatStep is the perfect compact percussion instrument. The ultra sensitive pads allow for great dynamic performances. The 16 encoders can be assigned to adjust parameters that allow further real-time control over your drum sounds.
General purpose control surface
The BeatStep pads can be configured to be MIDI CC buttons or assigned to send Program and Bank Change messages as well as note-on and note-off messages. With the 16 encoders, 16 pads/buttons and 16 preset memories, you can come up with multiple ways to use the BeatStep in any live or studio environnement. You can trigger clips in Ableton Live or use the encoders to adjust effects settings in your favorite DJ app.The transport buttons can be MMC controls or MIDI CC to start and stop your DAW. It can be the MIDI Clock master or slave to external clock.Using an iPad with the Camera Connection kit, you can turn the BeatStep into one of the most flexible iPad app controller as well.
You need a portable USB MIDI controller but also want a keyboard that provides a musical playing experience? You have some MIDI modules you want to connect as well but don’t want the footprint of a large keyboard? You have modular and analog gear you want to control via CV/GATEs? You want a step sequencer with polyphonic capability that can sync to your favorite modern and vintage gear? If only a single piece of gear could do all of this…
It’s the touch...
The KeyStep controller does all this and more.
We started by designing our own “slim key” keyboard action, balancing the best features of compact mini-keys with the musicality of full-sized keys into this new keybed. The size, velocity and aftertouch of this new design provide the freedom of portability without sacrificing playability.
We also designed a new polyphonic step-sequencer with 8 programmable memories that you can recall at the turn of knob. You can choose gate times and swing settings instantly to change the feel of your sequenced performance on the fly. We also included the ability to record, overdub, and transpose your sequences in real time and still play the keyboard live.
Add a flexible and fun arpeggiator mode and chord play mode and you are set for hours of musical adventures.
...and the possibilities
These features alone would make KeyStep the best portable keyboard controller on the market. But we take it further by giving you a wealth of connectivity options: USB MIDI (of course), standard MIDI in and out (check), clock sync and DIN sync jacks (yes!), and CV/GATE outputs, plus a separate, assignable modulation CV output that can be used with the mod wheel, velocity or aftertouch. To say KeyStep is an amazing little controller does not say enough.
Keystep is the perfect performance controller in a compact package.
Adapts to your setup!
KeyStep was imagined and designed to become the modern musician’s trump-card.
Whatever your setup, KeyStep will merge into it to overdrive your workflow and effectiveness. With KeyStep and its range of connections you can control any digital or analog synthesizer from the past, today and even tomorrow. Sequence them all!
Key Features and Specs
- MIDI controller Mode – RED LED MODE
- Step Sequencer mode – BLUE LED MODE
- 16 velocity and pressure sensitive pads
- 16 encoders
- 16 MIDI Controller presets
- 16 Sequence presets
- Works with MIDI Control Center Editor
- Internal and External clocking
- CV outputs (1V per octave)
- USB I/O
- MIDI output
- iPAD compatibility (using camera connection kit)
- Transports can send MIDI CC or MMC
- Kensington Lock
- Standalone MIDI or CV operation when powered via standard
- USB power adaptor
- USB Class compliant (no drivers)
- Arturia’s own Slimkey keybed with velocity and aftertouch
- Arpeggiator mode:
- Up, down, inclusive, exclusive, random, note order, double up, double down modes
- Sequencer mode:
- 8 polyphonic step-sequences with Rest, Tie, and Legato note entry
- Rate control and tap tempo:
- REC, PLAY, and STOP buttons for performance control over the sequencer and arpeggiator
- Sustain HOLD button
- Sustain pedal jack
- Chord play mode
- SHIFT button selection:
- MIDI channel selection, GATE time, SWING values
- DC jack for standalone operation
- USB MIDI connects to computers and our MCC editor
- MIDI in/out ports
- Sync i/o ports:
- Supports 1 pulse per step, 2 PPQ (Korg Volca), 24 PPQ DIN sync, 48 PPQ DIN sync
- Sync select switches:
- Internal, USB, MIDI, Clock
- CV/GATE outputs:
- CV supports 1Volt per octave, Volt>Hz modes, Gate output 5V or 12V for modern or vintage gear support
- CV Velo/Aftertouch/Modwheel output
- Capacitive-touch pitch bend and mod wheels
- Each sequence can have 64 steps, each step can have up to 8 notes
- Low power; can be powered by Apple iPad® (camera connection kit required)
2 years warranty